|April 17, 2017 • VOL. 55, NO. 8 • Oakland, CA|
Sister Barbara Anderson, SL
Sister Evangela Balde, OP
Sister Evangela Balde, OP, who spent 43 years as a Catholic school teacher and principal, died March 21. She was 92.
Born Juliette Mary Balde in San Francisco, she was baptized at Mission Dolores. Her early education was in the city's public school system and with the Sisters of the Holy Family on Saturdays. In junior high she transferred to St. James Parochial School, beginning her formal education with the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose. After graduating from Immaculate Conception Academy in 1942, she entered the postulancy at Mission San Jose and eventually graduated with a bachelor of arts degree from Queen of the Holy Rosary College in Fremont.
She professed her first vows in August 1944 as Sister Evangela Balde of the Sacred Heart and, in 1947, began 43 years as a Catholic educator. "Sister was a creative teacher, mentor and administrator," according to an obituary written by her community. "Her wonderfully upbeat personality, the twinkle in her eye and the mischief in her smile endeared her to her students and colleagues alike."
Sister Balde was called by her community to the Motherhouse in 1990 to serve as secretary general and congregational archivist. She served in that capacity until 2012 when she began mentoring her successor and then served as assistant archivist until her death.
A Mass of Christian Burial was held April 3 in the Dominican Sisters' Chapel in Fremont.
Rev. Gene Wilson, CPPS
Rev. Gene R. Wilson, CPPS, who served as an associate pastor at St. Barnabas Parish in Alameda and at St. Edward Parish in Newark, died March 30 of heart failure at Firelands Regional Medical Center in Sandusky, Ohio. He was 88.
Born in Charleston, West Virginia, Father Wilson's family later moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where he was raised. He joined the Missionaries of the Precious Blood in 1950. He graduated with a bachelor's degree from St. Joseph's College in Rensselaer, Indiana, and was ordained to the priesthood in 1960.
After spending two years in parish ministry in Cleveland, Father Wilson attended Catholic University of America where he studied library science. A lifelong learner, he completed his coursework at other institutions.
Father Wilson briefly served as librarian at his congregation's high school seminary near Canton, Ohio, before returning to parish ministry. He served at parishes in Detroit, Palo Alto and Los Angeles. In the Diocese of Oakland he served as associate pastor at St. Barnabas from 1991 to 1994 and again from 2001 to 2002. He also served in the same position at St. Edward Parish in Newark from 1995 to 2000.
He was also a member of the formation team for the Province of the Pacific. He returned to Ohio in 2006 and resumed parish ministry there.
Survivors include two sisters-in-law and nieces and nephews.
The funeral Mass was held at St. Charles Center in Carthagena, Ohio, on April 3. Burial followed in Calvary Cemetery in Cleveland.
back to top
|Copyright © 2017 The Catholic Voice, All Rights Reserved. Site design by Sarah Kalmon-Bauer.|